2011年10月12日星期三

Sound Research Written Analysis


24_armleder noise list (“16 Great Turn-Ons”. 1988)
1.Describe This work is simply made up by 16 turn-on sounds in our daily life, such as the turn-on sounds of TV, ice machine, weeding machine, saw, and so on.

2. Analyze The work uses 16 turn-on sounds without repeating, changing of sound tracks, fading in, fading out, and other treatments. What’s more, those turn-on sounds have no continuity and fluency. However, I found that these sounds are well organized, because the silence between each two sounds is always about 1.7 second. So audiences could feel much comfortable when listening to this work instead of being frightened or having a feeling of chaos.

3. Interpret Although I feel uncomfortable at first since the volume is suddenly increased when the machine is turned on and then is suddenly decreased, it becomes better in the latter part since the sounds appearing in the latter part are more euphonious. However, I also hold the opinion that the discomfort in the former part is not a bad thing, because those sounds veritably exist in our daily life. If the producer disposed those sounds to make it more comfortable to audiences, the work would lose its original meaning. What’s more, I think this work fit our cultural very well because all the sounds in it appear in our daily life in high frequency.

4. Evaluate The work successfully reminds me of sounds in my daily life. In my opinion, other audience may find it important also because sounds in it can be great materials for their own work if allowed.

Corale”, “Serenata”

1.Describe This work is a choral composed by many musical instruments as well as rumbling, which sounds like the sound of old steam train. The whole work seems to be in an old opera and is a little bit chaotic. But I like the melody.

2.Analyze I am not good at instruments so I cannot pick out all the instruments that appear in the work, but I can hear orchestral instruments almost all the time and hear percussion sometimes. Those instruments combined rhythmically and continuously, however, they also change the melody with the time. The sound of percussion, maybe a triangle, is very nifty and adorns the choral. What’s more, I think the rumbling that appears several time is well fused with those instruments and reminds me of the old days.

3.Interpret I think the melody is great and the sense of chaos also interested me. However, I do not think this work is in the center of the culture, or more specificly, this work is not in the center of the contemporary culture, because it is in an old style, which can hardly been heard nowadays.

4.Evaluate Although I think this work is not located in the center of the culture, I think other audience would like it because it can remind people of the old days.



1 assign3_rsch_Jlee_final.aif

1.Describe This work is composed by the talking of students, some are international students and some have been to attend a school in other countries. They talk about their interests, their experiences and the reason they were there in Syracuse.

2.Analyze I heard many different languages in this work, such as Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan accent, Cantonese Chinese, Korean, Tai, and English, which show those speakers come from several different places. I like the way of edit, it makes some sounds overlapping, some sounds repeat, and sometimes there is just silence. The edit attach the work with a beauty of irregular.

3. Interpret I enjoy this work because the Mandarin Chinese that appeared is familiar to me. What's more, I like the feeling that people from different countries using different languages to communicate with each other. However, I don’t think this work locates in the center of western culture. Firstly, most of the speakers in it use languages in Asia so western audiences cannot understand them. Secondly, since the difference of culture and language, international students are sometimes the borderline man in the campus. However, as an international student myself, I think this work is in the center of my daily life since I have more chance to meet other international students, make friends with them and talk with them about the topics in this work.

4.Evaluate Firstly, I think this work may confuse most audiences because there are too many foreign languages here without translation. But secondly, I hold the opinion that it may also attract its audiences because it shows the life of people with different religions and different experiences.

没有评论:

发表评论